U21's win against Buccs


  Our U21s took to the field last Saturday in Annacotty on a bright, wind- free, but cool afternoon. Bucaneers were the visitors for this round of the AIL South West Conference. Pitch 1 was was in splendid condition, thanks to the loving care and hard work of Murty Hanley. 
Our boys took to the pitch knowing that nothing less than a bonus point win was needed if they are to have fighting chance of making the play-off stages of the competition. So it was no surprise that Bohs started the game showing their intent from the off, Keith Kennedy set the tone in the first ruck with a big clear out of Bucks players. Bohs played good attacking rugby and and were awarded an early penalty on 35mts in front of the posts, with the kicking tee missing, there was a scramble to get a "cone" on to Barry Neville who was now under pressure from the kicking time clock, he cooley placed the ball on the tee, had a quick look at the posts and slotted the kick. Bohs won the re-start and came back at Bucks and worked the ball through several phases before being awarded a penalty inside the Bucks half. Neville kicked to the corner for a good attacking line-out. Darren Coady threw the ball in which was taken off he top by TJ O Sullivan, quick ball right across the line towards the left hand touch line with the final pass going to the on-rushing Adrian Enright who crossed the line for a fine try, the conversion was just wide of the mark but at 8 - 0, Bohs at this point were looking sharp and hungry. Again Bohs ran the ball at Bucks at every opportunity, with Will Shannahan, Darren Coady and Paul Quille carrying the ball to great effect, a scrum to Bohs outside Bucks 22 set up another good attacking platform for the home side, after several good phases the ball was released to Adrian Enright  who made great ground before off-loading to Austin Gibbons who stepped off his left foot and then his right to dodge the Bucks tacklers to finish strongly near the posts, Neville added the extras to put the Robins in a well deserved lead of 15 - 0. From the re-start Bucks won good possession and put some good phases of their own together, Bohs defense held solid but they were penalized for off side, the Bucks out half kicked the penalty between the posts to register their first score. Bohs gathered the re-start and pushed forward towards the Bucks 22, great hands from Barry Neville to Will Shannahan who carried the ball forward before off loading to Adrian Enright who charged towards the try line, he chipped the ball over the last defender into the goal area and won the race for the touch down for an outstanding try by the right hand touch line, the conversion was narrowly wide, but the score board was looking good at 20 - 3. Bucks again re-grouped and drove into the Bohs 22 where they re-cycled the ball well, they were awarded a penalty for a Bohs player not rolling away in a ruck, again another fine strike from the Bucks No 10 to close the gap to 20 - 6. Bucks started to play with more confidence at this stage and pushed into our 22 again, our defense was under some pressure and eventually a gap opened and Bucks got through for a try which was converted to close the gap even further to 20 - 13.  From the re-start, a Bucks player claimed the ball, but was stopped dead in his tracks with a huge hit from the very impressive Kalani Moore, Bucks re-cycled the ball and found touch with a clearance kick. Bohs line out was working really well and they again won good ball, quick hands again across the three quarters to the opposite wing and to Jack Ahern who made huge ground with a great run up the touch line before being stopped 5 mts from the Bucks line, Austin Gibbons then gathering the off load made it to within a metre of the line, from the resultant ruck, the ever sharp Barry O Dwyer, like any good scrum half gathered the ball at the back of the ruck and went sniping through pile of bodies to touch down for try No 4, the conversion attempt cam back off the up-right on the stroke of half time with the score now at 25 - 13.
Five minutes into the second half and Bohs were penalized on their 35 mt line for a "truck & trailer"  offence, Bucks kicked the penalty to close the gap to 25 - 16. A few minutes later we lost Keith Kennedy to a yellow card for an infringement on the ground, Dave Carroll was introduced to fill the front row at the expense of the hard working Conor Donnellon.  Bohs, although a man down in the pack won their next scrum, Neville kicked a huge clearance kick to find a brilliant touch inside the Bucks 22. Bohs stole the line-out and moved the ball sharply across the pitch into the hands of Cillian Ansbro who finished strongly in the left hand corner, this was capped with a fine conversion from Neville from the touchline to push the home side ahead 32 - 16. Brian Long was introduced for the ever impressive Paul Quille who gave way through injury. Bucks again pushed into the Bohs half and won a line out outside our 22, Kalani Moore rose highest to steal the line out, the ball was sent through the hands again and passed to Cillian Ansbro who made great ground, he off-loaded to Adrian Enright who took the ball on further into Bucks territory before brilliantly  off-loading to Ansbro who showed a clean pair of heels to the chasing Bucks defenders to touch down under the posts, the conversion was added to push Bohs further clear at 39 - 16. Kevin Burke was introduced for Jack Ahern, Luke Clohessy came in for Barry O Dwyer and Garry O Hehir replaced Austin Gibbons. The remainder of the game saw both sides winning possession and pushing forward, but a combination of good defense and some handling errors was to cancel out the efforts of each side. Bohs played out the last of the game of the Bucks half until the final whistle sounded. All in all, this was an impressive win considering some of the "first" choice players were missing due to being on duty with the senior iv the previous night, having said that, this team did not appear to be weakened by this with every member of the squad putting in a huge effort. Adrian Enright at full back was excellent as were Jack Ahern, Austin Gibbons, Will Shanahan,  and Cillian Ansbro, with the two Barry's, Neville and O'Dwyer masterfully controlling the game. In the pack Keith Kennedy, Darren Coady, Vinnie O'Ragan (capt). TJ O'Sullivan, Ryan Meaney, Conor Donnellon, Paul Quille were outstanding and what a performance from Kalani Moore, he was immense all day. Subs Dave Carroll, Brian Long, Kevin Burke, Luke Clohessy, and Garry O' Hehir all contributed greatly to a great squad performance. Congrats and well done to coaches Donn, Anthony,Graham, team manager Jason and physio  Eoin Keating .
Mike Moroney.
You are here: Senior Rugby U20 U21's win against Buccs